During the autumn 2010, the chairman of the Cycling Embassy of Denmark – Troels Andersen – visited Rome as part of the Dreams on Wheels exhibition and conference. During his stay in Italy, the chairman played a part in working out a protocol of collaboration for the development of urban cycling between the Municipality of Rome and the Cycling Embassy.
At the conference, Troels Andersen presented numerous Danish best-practice cases covering cycle infrastructure, cycle campaigns, as well as how to create an active image as cycle city. As mentioned above the conference also led to a Italian-Danish collaboration to develop urban cycling. The protocol was signed by Danish Ambassador, Gunnar Ortman – on the behalf of Troels Andersen – and Councilor for Environmental Policies and Urban Green Areas, City of Rome, Fabio De Lillo.
The purpose of the collaboration is among other things to;
- Enhance an improved quality of life of citizens through actions aimed at developing and improving the system of urban cycle tracks.
- Exchange any information and technical-scientific material with regards to cycle tracks.
- Exchange delegations of experts and scientific collaborators to hold work meetings and seminars.
- Jointly participate, if deemed helpful, in European projects on cycle tracks.
- Integrate resources and contacts for the purpose of jointly acting with the European Commission for the purpose of allocating funds to mobility and cycle tracks initiatives.